Monday, February 20, 2017

The Lego Batman Movie

Starring the voice talents of Will Arnett (Batman), Michael Cera (Robin), Rosario Dawson (Batgirl), Ralph Fiennes (Alfred), and Zach Galifianak (The Joker) this recent outing by Lego was a fun spoof and kid-friendly toy commercial with plenty of references to all the Batman films and TV shows to keep you smiling.

The plot is pretty basic, Batman has to learn the value of teamwork and being a family, but the fun for me was seeing all the references and the throwaway jokes. Arnett does a pretty funny send up of Batman but I wasn't super impressed by Galifianakis' voice portrayal of the Joker. I guess it is just too many years of listening to the great Mark Hamill to fully accept anyone else. I was also glad to hear, though in just a few lines, Billy Dee Williams voicing Two-Face, I always wondered what Batman Forever had been like if they kept him in the role, and at least this was a nice call back. Everyone else did fine in their roles and seeing all the baddies in the Phantom Zone was pretty funny.

I think most people can enjoy this film, especially Batman fans who don't take things too seriously, but I imagine anyone with kids are going to be headed to the local toy store to spend lots of money on plastic blocks.

No comments:

Post a Comment